Sunday, March 2, 2008

Impact of a writer

Last week, the World learnt of the demise of the famous writer Sujatha. While I have not read any of his novels, he was regarded as THE benchmark for Tamil writers after the mid-70s. He also dominated discussions around the dining table, coffee machine (call it what you will) for people of my parents' generation. His influence on the younger generations was primarily through movies, as a script-writer for several blockbusters.

My dad was very upset when he learnt about Sujatha's death and he promised he would send me an email outlining the reasons for the impact that Sujatha had on the people. The email is provided below.

------------------------------

It was the year 1970.I had entered college(Vivekananda) and was into Chase and Stanley Gardner.My Tamil reading was confined to Kalki,Devan and whatever was in Vikatan and Kalki.Kumudam was viewed with suspicion in a middle class Brahmin household.There was a buzz about this writer Sujatha(a modern name in those days) and I started reading Kumudam.I was hooked.Sujatha believed in using a single sentence when others wrote a para.His economy of words,stylistic description attracted the youth of the day.(It still does.After nearly 40 years Ilamai Thodar in Tamil magazines are by him).After the phenomenal success of Nylon Kayiru (I cannot forget Iranginn written like the stairs) he started writing regularly.His Sasi Kathirundal with the O.Henry like twist in the tail is still fresh in my memory after 35 years.When he was writing in mainstream magazines he was also writing in Kanayazhi a literary magazine published from Delhi,where he was based then.His last page articles under the byline,Srirangam S.R where he made fun of Sujatha had people writing in protest.He must have been amused.He also had some film reviews,play reviews(he tore Punnagai to pieces,I wonder what Balachander had to say).
Apart from the Ed McBain like procedural featuring Ganesh and Vasanth he also wrote humor.In the late 70s I could see the changes in his writings.He wrote Kanavu Thozhirchalai on filmdom.There was a huge hoarding announcing it in Gemini circle probably the only time it has been done for a magazine serial.His magnum opus Karaiellam Shenbagapoo was tremendously received.I was introduced to many books by him like Games people Play,Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance,Kaneer Pookal,Thamizhar Natupadalgal.In the 80s he made a whole generation of us aware of Haiku.(It is a pity that many started writing Poiku,as he would say).He had a great capacity to observe,(Nagaram,Kagitha Sangiligal about hospitals) countless about courts and police work.Being an Engineer and a genius in writing he could explain the intricacies of computer to laymen.His entry into filmdom literally took it to outer space(Vikram).Ace directors Mani Rathnam and Shankar owe a lot to him.Of late he wrote about Paasurams in Kalki and also about Vaishnavite philosophy.He also wrote on Thirukkural and Purananooru.His description of Srirangam where he grew up is one of the best autobiographies I have read.
So long Sir, you deserve the rest.A lot of us will miss you terribly.

-----------------------------------------

The text above indicates two things:
  • It confirms my long-held view that books are always superior to movies and the impact of authors on people's lives is tremendous. However, its such a pity that this generation (and most likely, the following generations) will be more attracted to movies rather than books. I sincerely hope the situation changes but do not expect it...another unfortunate by-product of technological advancement!!
  • It outlines the tremendous impact an author can have on a person's life. Personally, I am not sure if the death of an author will affect me as profoundly as it did for my Dad. However, I sincerely hope that some author influences me to such an extent that I feel as if I have lost a part of myself when he/she passes away.
Farewell to Mr.Sujatha and I hope that books continue to have their place in people's lives.

1 comment:

Pramod said...

Not being a reader means I havent been able to compare books and movies and so always preferred movies. I have started to enjoy books recently. I enojyed 5 point something, which is soon to be made into a movie (it is already a theatre production by Evam) and now am reading Kite Runner.

As for Sujatha, I have heard a lot about him, but dont know much else.